Monday, September 21, 2009

San Francisco Today, Mill Valley Tomorrow (and then Naturally the World)

I haven't been forthcoming with what is afoot here at Coleman's Corner in Cinema for a while now and I thought this would be a fair time to let readers know that this week I will be attending the 32nd Mill Valley Film Festival Press Screenings in San Francisco on Potrero Avenue. These are films to be screened at the prestigious Mill Valley Film Festival in October. Among the films to be screened this week are The Messenger by Oren Moverman, Fish Tank by Ancrea Arnold, The Horse Boy by Michael O. Scott and Precious by Lee Daniels.

The good people at the California Film Institute have informed me that I can only review one of these four films this week (The Horse Boy). However, I will be involved with covering the Mill Valley Film Festival here at Coleman's Corner in Cinema and hope to dutifully record many of the festival's cinematic happenings.

For more information about the Mill Valley Film Festival, please look here. It's the hottest ticket in the Bay Area and I hope anyone who can, will attend.

Meanwhile, I promise to the many commenters in various threads here, and especially the Inglourious Basterds thread, that I will get back to you as soon I can do so comfortably. Thank you for your patience.

17 comments:

Daniel Getahun said...

Wow, congrats on that access, Alexander. Those are a few films that I've been really looking forward to this fall, particularly Precious. I may have to tiptoe around your reviews, then, but am glad to see you get the chance to write them.

Craig Kennedy said...

Looking forward to your take on the excellent Mill Valley lineup Alexander.

Glad to see they're giving someone who knows what they're talking about some access.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you very much, Daniel, Mack and Craig. It should be quite fun. Thanks again, everybody.

Books, said...

Hi! Alexander,
Congratulation! I ‘am not familiar with the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Francisco.

However, I just checked out the two links that you have provided and all I can say is very...interesting.

I most definitely, will be looking forward to reading your review of the film The Horse Boy. (Oh! no, I have never watched the film, (The Horse Boy) but I cannot wait for an "introduction.")

Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D

Sam Juliano said...

There isn't a better person for this assignment and as always I'm sure you will deliver the goods big-time. I'm 3,000 miles away, but I'll be there in spirit. Best wishes!

christian said...

Sweeet! Good job!

Alexander Coleman said...

Thanks so very much, DeeDee, Sam and Christian! Appreciate the kind words as always.

Sam, what on earth were you doing up at 3:30 in the morning where you live?! (Just kidding. :-))

Sam Juliano said...

Alexander, I could not sleep last night, as I was (and still am) in tremendous pain. I fear I have a serious case of diavetriculitis, which of course involves the colon. I am all backed up, and have been on pain killers and laxitives. I bet those who've had this will admit it's not pleasant.

Alexander Coleman said...

I'm extremely sorry, Sam. Please know that you're in my prayers and I most certainly hope you feel better as soon as possible. Take care and rest.

Sam Juliano said...

Thankls very much Alexander for those very kind words. For now, until my appointment on Friday, it's advil liquid gels all day for the pain.

In any case, I do look forward to your report on this major event, as well as som eof teh recents films out there like THE INFORMANT.

Alison Flynn said...

What a great opportunity, Alexander! Congratulations! I look forward to reading your write-up of the festival.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you so very sincerely, Alison. It's always wonderful to hear from you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome dude!

Coffee Messiah said...

Congrats on the MV gig. Went years ago and is a nice venue fir seeing films at anytime and look forward to hearing about most films that may never get to indy-anna ; (

Cheers and was sorry to hear awhile back that John Goddard closed Village Music. I hope at least the coffee roaster across from the Book Depot is still there.

Although, since I used to live in Sausalito before coming out here we'd go to Avatars, I know he had a place in MV also ; )

Uh, er, can you tell I miss the bay area.

Daniel Getahun said...

Just looked through those films again and saw that Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench is on there - I highly recommend it!

TheFilmist said...

Not very relevant to the original post, but I'm making the rounds and sending out the message to alert other fellow film bloggers about the joint venture between myself and Glenn Heath from Match Cuts, counting down the finest films of this past decade.

Hope to see you there!

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you so very much for the recommendation, Daniel. I'll be sure to catch it now!

Thanks to everyone, most sincerely, for the truly kind words.