Monday, October 13, 2008

Scott's War




You may have noticed that in the past couple of months I have just about completely ceased with posting news items at Coleman's Corner. Much of that is because I think people who frequent this space can find movie news just about anywhere, and do not need yet another barrage of it here. Nevertheless, sometimes news items can be interesting and provoke discussion, which was the main reason I posted them in the first place. Well, today, a piece of news has hit that some may see as interesting considering my last review. It concerns Ridley Scott's next, newly announced project, and may serve to cast the views expressed in my review of his latest in another light, perhaps arguably corroborative or contradictious, particularly depending on your own opinion. Perhaps the man who wished to be "the John Ford of science-fiction" has returned to his appropriate stomping grounds.


Meanwhile, since this is, hopefully like all Coleman's Corner items, about discussion, what do you think about the lesser focus on news? Like I say, I'm not throwing that element of the blog aside entirely, but unless a piece of news seems interesting to me, and disembogues the belief in my own mind that it sounds sufficiently salty so as to provoke discussion here, I think I would prefer to allow many other fine websites to transmit the latest news.

10 comments:

Sam Juliano said...

Although your reviews are the "piece de resistance" here at CCC, I can well-understand and appreciate the occasional news item. Mr. Scott (and sorry about confusing he and Tony Scott in the BODY OF LIES review comments thread) is a curiously uneven director though, and unless there is a subject matter that captivates me, the news of his most recent project fails to stimulate me in any special way.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you, Sam.

No problem with confusing the two brothers--I believe Ridley did to some degree with Body of Lies, yuk, yuk.

I agree with your point that news of his most recent projects fails to quicken the pulse, but at least it does sound more attuned to what he was striving for in the early days of his career.

Evan Derrick said...

You can get news anywhere else. Unless you have another person writing with you, Alexander, I'd focus on the film reviews and articles, rather than expend energy on regurgitating news items most of us have already read a few times over (I hadn't seen this one, though...Scott doing sci-fi again? I'm in).

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you for the input, Evan. I believe you are right.

Tony D'Ambra said...

Hi Alexander.

I think non-review items are essential as they are hooks for debate if you pose a question or offer an opinion that can be debated - they don't have to be long and can offer an opportunity for greater engagement with your readers.

Readers who have not seen a reviewed movie can be put-off as sometimes all they can say is "great review" or similar....

Alexander Coleman said...

Yes, thank you greatly for that very wise advice, Tony.

j.d. said...

Ridley Scott bores me. I don't care what he does.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, j.d. Could you elaborate on how Scott bores you?

j.d. said...

None of his movies say anything. He's just a hole of nothingness.

Alexander Coleman said...

Ah, okay, j.d. As I noted in my Body of Lies review, Scott's art, though not lacking in merit, does not add up to very much to me these days, either.