Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wells Falls in Hate... For the One Millionth Time

Jeffrey Wells has fallen "in hate" with Rian Johnson's The Brothers Bloom.

Since Wells more or less disliked and dismissed Brick, and, perhaps more importantly, confesses to walking out of the theatre in which The Brothers Bloom was being played, however, I will merrily ignore his opinion. If you read his slam, you'll see that he "fell in hate" with the picture because one of the Bloom brothers is referred to by their last name, and the other by their first name...

And because Rinko Kikuchi is "relentlessly sullen"--this is the guy who loved Babel! She wasn't sullen there? She was beyond sullen in the 2006 international omnibus picture. Maybe she actually speaks in the Johnson film and it was just too much for Wells, who says he wanted her knifed or shot or pushed into the ocean. And the final outrage? Character actor Robbie Coltrane is egregiously fat and we all know how much Wells loathes the "Jabbas" among us. And Wells eviscerates Johnson for so "obviously" wanting "to be Wes" Anderson. Well, even if that is true, I would rather follow a filmmaker interested in being the next Wes Anderson rather than becoming the next Michael Davis (before you race over to IMDb, he wrote and directed the Wells-approved Shoot 'Em Up). Yes, these all sound like perfectly fine reasons for abandoning a film "a little less than an hour" into its running time.

8 comments:

Craig Kennedy said...

I couldn't even bring myself to skimming his review as soon as I saw the tenor of it. James Rocchi at Cinematical appeared to have loved the movie.

I tell you, I'm not at all in another round of desultory film festival coverage from Wells.

What an asshat. He has soul cancer.

Alexander Coleman said...

Asshat... ahahaha...

Yes, soul cancer sounds right.

nick plowman said...

Wells and I never, ever stop disagreeing, and the fact that he doesn't like this film sorta makes me glad: maybe I'll like it then.

"soul cancer" is spot on mate, and I do not want to be anywhere near it right now.

I am stoked for "The Brothers Bloom" and nothing is going to change that.

Alexander Coleman said...

This doesn't even go into the frightening totalitarian streak Wells clearly has, banning people who politically disagree with him.

And did I mention he wore really funny-looking shoes when I met him ten months ago? Haha.

Craig Kennedy said...

Yeah what Nick says. The fact that Wells hated it I'm taking as a good sign.

Alexander Coleman said...

Yep, same here.

christian said...

Wells is unhinged. He's turned HE into the Daily Kos of film. It's no fun to read anymore.

Alexander Coleman said...

No, it's a pretty sad, despotic place these days. The Daily Kos of Film, haha.