Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Heights of Holbrook

This fall looks like a good season at the Marin County Veterans' Memorial Auditorium in San Rafael, California. Between the early November symphony concert of Beethoven as performed by Orion Weiss, and the December performances of the Stapleton Ballet Nutcracker, is Hal Holbrook giving a performance as Mark Twain in Mark Twain Tonight! on Saturday, November 22, a revival of his off-Broadway creation that debuted in 1959. My father saw Holbrook as Twain in 1981 at the same venue when he lived in San Francisco.

I am tremendously excited about having the chance to see Holbrook as Twain.

Holbrook was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his touching turn as Ron Franz in Sean Penn's Into the Wild. So many wonderful performances, from the television movie The Glass Menagerie to Magnum Force to The Fog and so many others, the names of which I will now allow you the enjoyment of listing and showering with love.

Which performances do you consider to be among the heights of Holbrook?

10 comments:

Sam Juliano said...

I thought he gave an achingly beautiful performance in a very bad film, Sean Penn's INTO THE WILD, which of course earned him an Oscar nod. He probably would have won if not for Bardem's celebrated work in NO COUNTRY.

Alexander Coleman said...

I just watched They Only Kill Their Masters and Holbrook gave a fine performance in a small role. He has always seemed to contribute a sense of unpredictability to the films he touched.

nick plowman said...

I am no expert on all things Holbrook, but his performance in "Into the Wild" was breathtaking, I loved it, and I thought the film was great too.

I definitely do need to see more of his work.

Alexander Coleman said...

I agree, Nick, Holbrook's performance in Into the Wild was, like you say, nothing short of breathtaking.

Sam, I know we've discussed Into the Wild before, and particularly about our very different evaluations, but I just wondered why you consider it "very bad." I'm quite curious. I do think it had flaws, but I admired much of it nevertheless. I was pleasantly surprised that Penn didn't lazily treat his hero's actions as a uncomplicated juvenile wish list, sanctioned by Penn. Though I did think the portrayal of the parents as a pair was less than inspired. I'd like to take another look at it soon.

Pat said...

I still have not seen "Into the Wild" (hangs head in shame),but I have fond memories of Holbrook's portayal of the "Deep Throat" character in "All the President's Men."

Alexander Coleman said...

Thank you so much for pointing to Holbrook's rightly celebrated supporting turn as "Deep Throat," Pat. I'll take "Follow the money" a thousand times over "Show me the money" once.

I do recommend you try out Into the Wild. As I said to Sam, I've been hoping to revisit sooner rather than later for a good while now.

Alexander Coleman said...

I have now revisited Into the Wild and Holbrook's performance was so movingly heartfelt.

I can't wait for the chance to see him live in person in about a month.

Sam Juliano said...

I continue to have troubles with INTO THE WILD, but I'll agree that Holbrook was affecting, without question.

Can't wait to hear what you say of the performance there! Enjoy!

Alexander Coleman said...

It's finally here in just a little more than 24 hours!

Toby said...

I think every person should glance at this.
austin texas movers | washington dc chiropractor | saliva drug test detection period