Saturday, July 12, 2008

RIP, Evelyn Keyes

Evelyn Keyes was Suellen O'Hara in Gone With the Wind, and Cecil B. DeMille's Pacific Union (both 1939) and starred in several film noirs such as Johnny O'Clock (1947) with Dick Powell, The Prowler (1951) with Van Heflin, 99 River Street (1953), and Hell's Half Acre (1954), the latter three of which I first saw at this past January's San Francisco Castro Theatre film noir festival hosted by Eddie Muller. She was also in numerous comedies, most of which unseen by me, but I plan to see more of her films such as these in the near future. Keyes was born November 16, 1916 and according to sources died on July 4, 2008. She was 91.

Her list of credits, where you can also see her brief bio for starters: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0450810/

3 comments:

Sam Juliano said...

Alexander, I think this may mean that Olivia Havilland now stands alone as a surviving principal in GWTW, even if Evelyn's role was hardly a central one.

Alexander Coleman said...

I believe you're right about that, Sam.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, too! I'm very happy to see you comment at CCC. :)