Thursday, July 24, 2008

From Hancock to Hercules

Peter Berg, whose latest, Hancock, is a movie I don't plan on ever bothering with, will produce and is developing to direct a fresh take on the legend of Hercules in Hercules: The Thracian Wars that will be co-financed by Spyglass and Universal Pictures.

Bottom line: It's an adaptation of a five-part comic book series.

I know this is kind of like saying, "If only there were surprises in baseball," a few days after the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Oakland A's in five games in the 1988 World Series, what with The Dark Knight being the ultimate "grown-up" cinematic treatment of a comic book-inspired story, but I'll say it anyway: When will we get something just a little higher and stronger in terms of artistic protein than more, more and yet more comic book takes on long-established myths and stories?

What if, for instance, Michael Mann had been able to make his film about the Battle of Thermopylae before Zach Snyder bombarded us all with 300? Oh well, those are the breaks.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117989344.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

2 comments:

Nick Plowman said...

I don't know what to make of this because Berg disappointed me with "Hancock."

I'll give him one last chance.

Alexander Coleman said...

Sounds like a good idea, Nick. I'm not interested in seeing Hancock, and honestly the only Peter Berg film I liked was Friday Night Lights.

For some reason, the appeal of The Rundown more or less escaped me; I was okay seeing it once, but I wouldn't want to take another look.

The fact that he's supposedly going to remake Dune kind of stinks, too.