Monday, June 23, 2008

IMAX Experience

For the second time ever, I am about to take the IMAX plunge with a film. The first Beowulf and now The Dark Knight. The Robert Zemeckis film was in 3-D, and I had to go the Sony Metreon in San Francisco to see Before the Devil Knows You're Dead at that time (it would take another five or six weeks to make it to Marin County) anyway.

So, The Dark Knight is in some ways the first film where it and it alone has motivated me to pay up for the IMAX experience. Christopher Nolan and others associated with the film have majorly talked up the IMAX-ification of the film, saying that it allows for a much greater image quality than anything else. According to http://www.fandango.com/, six separate sequences of The Dark Knight were filmed with IMAX cameras.

Showtimes at the Metreon on opening day are 10:00, 1:30, 5:00, 8:30 and 12:00 midnight. Tickets are on-sale.

Is this a prudent move on my part? Or have I just been bitten by the bat bug?

4 comments:

Daniel G. said...

I don't think it's a bad move necessarily, but the bigger question for me is always the crowd. I don't know about anyone else, but I want my experience of TDK to be the total opposite of Indy: quiet, brooding, freaky. Leave the costumes and sugar addicts at home.

But that's just me, and I don't know which theater caters to which crowd.

Alexander Coleman said...

Excellent point, Daniel.

On the whole, San Franciscans tend to be laid-back at sporting events and in movie theatres. However, this might be different.

I agree, The Dark Knight crowd ought to be at least partly a reflection of the film. I'm getting somber and angst-ridden just thinking about it. :)

Thanks for that take, Daniel. Very itneresting.

Craig Kennedy said...

It didn't even occur to me to go for IMAX, I automatically go for the theater I can get reserved seats, but I think one of hte IMAX theaters here is reserved.

I was impressed with Shine a Light in IMAX and I meant to catch Speed Racer. Dark Knight would've been cool. Ah well, maybe I'll catch up to it for my 2nd viewing if there is one.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thanks for that input, Craig. Yeah, I have to admit I never got around to seeing Shine a Light at all, much less on IMAX. I kept wanting to, but between school and other films in April, I just never got around to it. I pretty much regret that.

The fact that Nolan shot six different sequences with IMAX cameras, though--I'm really excited to see the results.