Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fabulous Film Fathers

Same deal as Mother's Day. Equal time for fathers.

A few standouts, even if some of them, you'll notice, aren't truly the best of dads: Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird; Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone from The Godfather; Spencer Tracy's Stanley Banks in Father of the Bride; Christopher Walken's Frank Abagnale, Jr. in Catch Me If You Can; Dustin Hoffman as Ted Kramer in Kramer vs. Kramer; Melvyn Douglas's Homer Bannon in Hud; Douglas again as Tom Garrison in I Never Sang for My Father; Gene Hackman's Royal Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums; John Huston's Noah Cross in Chinatown (Bad Dad with capital letters)... Doubtless more... please help build on this if you feel the impulse to do so, and deep down you surely do.

9 comments:

christian said...

Big Bobby Duvall in THE GREAT SANTINI.

Craig Kennedy said...

Royal Tenenbaum is an AWESOME choice. I should've clipped that instead of Shining.

Also: Richard Dreyfus in Close Encounters. Best dad ever.

lightbird777 said...

Well, for bad Dads, let's not forget DDL's Daniel Plainview.

Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird definitely ranks up there as one of the great film Dads.

I'll add James Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life, Kevin Costner and his father in Field of Dreams and Harrison Ford in Mosquito Coast. Nothing like variety.

Alexander Coleman said...

You know, Craig, I was tempted to put Richard Dreyfuss's Roy Neary from Close Encounters in, but I didn't want to be accused of Spielberg oversaturation. Ray Ferrier from War of the Worlds is a neat choice for this, too.

Yeah, Royal Tenenbaum is a must.

Christian, great call on Bobby Duvall in The Great Santini.

One I immediately wished I had included, Paul Winfield as Nathan Lee Morgan in Sounder. Heartbreaking.

Alexander Coleman said...

All worthy inclusions, Alison. I went offline mid-post for a while, and then finished, so you snuck in there.

I must be the only guy out there who wasn't moved by Field of Dreams. Should my manhood license be revoked? Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood or something, I don't know...

lightbird777 said...

My brother calls Field of Dreams the chick flick for guys. :)

I did like the movie. But as far as movies about baseball (with Kevin Costner anyway) I prefer Bull Durham. But that's not really a father movie. :)

Alexander Coleman said...

I prefer Bull Durham, too, Alison. I just saw that about a year ago for the first time and liked it a great deal. But you're right, it's not a father's movie... Indeed, it's as much of a chick flick as a baseball flick could be, I guess... :)

Craig Kennedy said...

Field of Dreams is a total chick flick for guys. that's too funny.

I love both Dreams and Durham, but for totally different reasons. g

Jeremy said...

This will not really work, I think like this.
star a9000 phone | ipad 2 smart cover red | iphone 4s stylus | xbox 360 hd av cable | laptop pc with wifi