Wednesday, June 4, 2008

DePalma Update

Well, just a little while I ago I posted rumblings about Brian DePalma directing Print the Legend, a movie based on the real, less vibrantly heroic story of Private Jessica Lynch in Iraq. Well, according to The Hollywood Reporter, DePalma is going to direct The Boston Stranglers, based on the Boston strangling serial killing, for which Albert DeSalvo was convicted. The case inspired the 1968 Richard Fleischer film, starring Tony Curtis as DeSalvo and Henry Fonda as a police detective, The Boston Strangler as well as several television movies.

I'm not sure what this means for Print the Legend, but in any event I think DePalma's on safer, more natural ground for himself with this project if it is indeed what's next on his docket.

http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i58f212ecd7895426e085b206d879755f

4 comments:

Daniel G. said...

Wow, my interest level is insanely higher with Stranglers than with Legend. I haven't seen the original. Is a remake a good idea or a bad idea?

Alexander Coleman said...

The original is a good procedural (Fleischer, as I've said about a million times at various places, is a cruelly underrated director considering his very solid body of work) with two very good performances (Fonda and Curtis).

However, it's certainly not flawless, and DePalma, if he were to suddenly revert to his older, muscular self, could make quite the slam-bang film out of it.

I recommend seeing the original, though.

Evan Derrick said...

I second Alexander on the original. I caught it on AMC one afternoon and was pleasantly surprised with the quality level. It reminded me a lot of Zodiac.

Alexander Coleman said...

Thanks for stopping by again, Evan. Yes, the original (which I believe I caught off of an Encore channel, about two years ago, I think) is a fine procedural. The blind alleys in particular are a precursor to Zodiac, it seems. I love one of Fonda's lines: "Looks like we landed on the wrong airfield," or something like that, meaning they found a baddie but not their baddie, if I remember right.