Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spielberg to Direct Lockerbie Bombing Film?

It's not my raison d'etre by any means but as I elastically promised in my original posting for my new blog, I will make it a point to periodically report "news" that could conceivably be true.

Anyway, it just came to my attention yesterday that a website, http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp? has indicated in an article that Steven Spielberg may be setting out to make a film about the "Lockerbie plane bombing" and the fallout of the terrorist event.

One of the reasons I'm running this is because whether or not Spielberg is actually actively persuing this or not, Juval Aviv, code-named "Avner," evidently wants Spielberg to take it on. "Avner" helped Hungarian journalist George Jonas put together the book entitled "Vengeance," which screenwriters Eric Roth and Tony Kushner and Spielberg adapted into Munich. "Avner" has apparently researched the Lockerbie incident a great deal and has come to the conclusion that the Libyan who was arrested and convicted for the heinous act, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, is actually innocent. "Avner" has written a book, "Flight 103," about the doomed Pan Am 103's destruction on December 21, 1988, and he believes that Spielberg proved with Munich that he could make an excellent film about the investigation of the bombing.

Now, I tend to take articles like this with a grain of salt. Particularly when they make errors, such as this one, which states that "Avner" himself wrote "Vengeance." However, according to one person who runs a Spielberg-centric website, and is someone I trust in all matters relating to Spielberg in terms of what he's truly interested in and what he's not, "The Beard" is at the very least intrigued by the material. The fact that this gentleman first reported this as a possible project way back in late December at his website also made me feel like I had some "cover" in running this, since he normally dismisses the latest what's-next-for-Spielberg gossip.

I'm not so sure about Spielberg tackling terrorism and counterterrorism again so soon after Munich, especially if this possible film is going to be put on the "fast track" as this article claims. However, I'll be there for whatever he makes and I personally would love to see him return to this murky, shadowy and furtive world.

I promise I won't post about Wong Kar-Wai making The Lady from Shanghai or whatever project David Fincher has attached himself to in the last three hours. At least not yet.